The Great Pumpkin

It is the time of year when boyfriend and I trot off to the local Costco and stock up on our Winter staples...things like frozen pizzas, frozen French onion soup, butternut squash ravioli (mmm), 10 pounds of pasta, 8 cans of organic diced tomatoes, 8 cans of black olives; all on hand for those nights when boyfriend and I are too tired and soggy to trudge out and get groceries or takeout.  It's all here and easy to prepare, stockpiled in the nooks and crannies of our pokey little kitchen.

But recently (okay, so maybe last year) Costco started carrying one of my favorite things: giant cans of pureed pumpkin, sold in a set of THREE!  I love pumpkin.  Pumpkin soup, bread, candles, bars, cheesecake, pasta sauce; you name it, I like it.  So imagine my excitement not only to bring home three fresh (and inexpensive) cans of pumpkin last week, but to then read a magazine tip telling me to stir pureed pumpkin into my morning oatmeal!  Brilliant!  Why hadn't I already thought of that?

Needless to say, I've spent the past few mornings experimenting with my favorite pumpkin oatmeal combination, and I thought I would share it with you all!

Pumpkin Oats

Pumpkin Oats for the Extremely Weary (and/or Crazed) Holiday Crafter:
Cook your desired amount of oatmeal; I do 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of water for a single serving
Right at the end, stir in a plop (maybe about 1/4 cup) of pureed 100% pumpkin
Mix in a bit of maple agave nectar; if you don't have this (which you should really think about, it is DE-licious)  plain agave, maple syrup, or honey would all be delectable
Sprinkle with cinnamon
Pour in a little milk if desired, but the pumpkin makes it quite creamy on its own
Top with a pat of butter if you're feeling decadent or overworked.  Trust me.  It does wonders...

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I will most definitely be trying this! Love that you're eeating it out of a Harvest Wheat Pyrex too!! 'Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was sure i already responded to this... i recall reading it and at least thinking "mmm, knitting and pyrex" ... i'm easily distracted ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Thank you for lingering in my Victory Garden, I hope you enjoyed yourself while you were here!

If you have a specific question for me regarding my blog, photographs, Etsy shop, or anything really, please email me at Anna@VictoryGardenYarn.com.