Waiting...

Good morning friends!  I am reporting to you live from the great Pacific Northwest (as usual) where it is very windy, very drippy, and getting colder as I type.  The perfect weather for me to have an actual reason (other than 'I need to make cowls and hoops and ornaments for Ye Olde Etsy Shoppe and my craft fairs!') to stay at home ALL day in my pajamas, work, read, chat with you all and........wait.

Whatever am I waiting for?  I'm actually laughing as I type this: 116 POUNDS OF YARN.  Yep.  That's right.  Girlfriend didn't look at her fine print on her UPS tracking page and thought she was waiting for a mere 35 pounds of yarn.  Ha.  Snort.  Nope!  116 pounds of yarn.  I knew exactly how many balls I had to order to meet my very exciting first order minimum...but when they gave me the quantity in pounds...we're talking a completely different story now!

Waiting...
To begin my day of waiting, I decided to be a bit decadent: we greedily snapped up a little container of Pumpkin Spice Eggnog at the market last night (Safeway, if anyone is interested) and instead of reaching for my usual milk to put in my coffee, my hand was uncontrollably reaching for the Pumpkin Spice Eggnog. So of course, mismatched grey and pink Pyrex is necessary for such a delicious concoction.

Apple Butter!
Next on the list for my decadent day of waiting, I'll share with you what boyfriend and I decided to tackle on Sunday: the most delicious pot roast ever made, canned apple butter, and canned spiced honey. I tailored our CSA box to get a bonafide bushel of apples, we made the apple butter, both got burns on our hands and arms, tasted it, decided it was too thick and applesauce-like, blitzed it with the immersion blender, added some allspice, looked up more recipes...and found out we probably should have cooked the blend all day long in a slow cooker. Le sigh. Oh well, it still tastes delicious! If somewhat sauce-like... I'm not going to share my recipe here since I think it's a bit inferior, but really, just do a quick internet search for apple butter; they all look delicious (and most involve a slow cooker).

Pot Roast and Canning
Boyfriend and I have decided to re-introduce the idea of a Sunday dinner into our weekly meals. While cleaning out my grandmother's house last month, Mumsy was sharing delicious stories of Sunday dinners she had growing up: dinners involving her maternal (Texan) grandmother's home-raised fried chicken and tomato macaroni and cheese as well as her paternal (Portuguese) grandmother's homemade linguica and traditional bread soup.  That is one Sunday dinner I would like to attend.

Boyfriend and I decided to scrounge in the fridge and see what we could come up with for our first official Sunday dinner.  Pot roast it was!  I did a quick cookbook index scan for a tasty sounding recipe and decided upon Ina Garten's Company Pot Roast, from her Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook.  People, I am never making any other pot roast ever again, ever.  This is quite possibly on my top ten list of most delicious things ever to cross my palate.  Seriously.  Boil up some noodles to serve with it, as she suggests in her notes, because you will want to drench everything on your plate with the tasty, tomatoey, piping hot sauce that the meat simmers in.  (We did leave out the leeks and the cognac/brandy, as we didn't have those on hand.)

Spiced Honey
Somewhere in between peeling, coring, and slicing apples, searing meat, chopping vegetables and doing dishes, we found the time (and counter space) to make something I've been wanting to make for a while now: spiced honey!  This is the easiest thing I've ever canned, although you are dealing with a large amount of honey...and honey can be messy, so use caution and don't fling your hands and utensils about.  This recipe came from our trusty Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

You only need a few ingredients: 3-4 8oz jars, about 3 cups of honey, a lemon, a few cinnamon sticks, and some cloves.  The general idea is to gently boil the honey with your cinnamon sticks and lemon slices studded with cloves.  Fifteen minutes later you ladle the a lemon wedge, a cinnamon stick, and honey into your hot, sterilized jars, leave a quarter inch of headspace, lids and necks back on, throw them back into your canner and process for another ten minutes.  Heat and canner lid off...wait five more minutes.  Voila!  Spiced honey!  I sampled what was stuck to my fingers when it was all over and it is just begging to be spooned into a steamy hot mug of your favorite tea or drizzled over a tasty baked good.

So perhaps that crazy whirlwind of cooking and canning will inspire some of you to can up some delicious Fall treats to share with your friends and family.  Or maybe someone will decide to bring the epic Sunday dinner back into their weekly repertoire.  Who knows?  All I know is that I need a refill on my Pumpkin Spice Eggnog coffee and I need to get back to my task of waiting for 116 pounds of yarn to show up on my doorstep.  The UPS man doesn't usually show up until about 6pm, but that's okay...I do have a lot of Atomic Christmas Ornaments to make...

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...sounds delicious. I love honey drizzled over piping hot biscuits....Oh my, I'm getting hungry! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Thank you for lingering in my Victory Garden, I hope you enjoyed yourself while you were here!

If you have a specific question for me regarding my blog, photographs, Etsy shop, or anything really, please email me at Anna@VictoryGardenYarn.com.