Wednesday Women 10.12.11

Hi friends, happy Wednesday!  Tonight I am sharing a favorite vintage photograph of Hannah's, from Hannah Explains It All.  I would like to thank her for sharing not only the photograph but also her truly heartwarming musings about family and marriage.  Hannah blogs about life, love, and even a bit of craftiness thrown in for good measure; if any of those things pique your interest, go check her out

And don't forget, anyone can submit their favorite vintage family photograph featuring an inspirational woman-just click here or on the Wednesday Women button to the right for all of the details!

My grandparents, Howard and Corine, on their wedding day, April 7, 1954

My grandparents gave this photo to me along with a beautifully written note for Christmas, just 6 months after I had gotten married myself. When I opened the letter and saw my grandmother dressed in lace and the expressions on both of their faces, I about melted. Even though they are looking down, you can see that they are right there in that moment together -- they are in love, excited and anxious for the life they will share together -- they are united, man and wife, and they are inexpressibly happy.

I see them now, after nearly 60 years of marriage, and it's easy to see that life has been largely satisfying for them. They have traveled and seen interesting things and met fascinating people. They have developed and cherished enriching friendships with many people. They have cultivated hobbies and passions. They have worked with their hands and seen the fruits of their labors. They have raised a family, and watched their family raise a family. They have watched with joy and amazement that their family is still growing, as their children's children step into the same hope-filled marital covenant they entered so many years previously.

So when I saw my grandmother dressed in white, I saw much more than a beautiful vintage gown. I saw another bride with hopes and expectations for herself, her spouse and her future family and life. I saw a little bit of myself in her face as she cut her wedding cake with her groom. I realized we had shared a common experience with common emotions, and I knew in that moment I was right to hope and anticipate so many wonderful things -- because if Grandma had them, I could have them, too.

4 comments:

  1. Old wedding photos are so, so magical! Such an encouraging love story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photo! It's so sweet to have a story to go with it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! I sure do love my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Thanks for the feature, Anna!

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Thank you for lingering in my Victory Garden, I hope you enjoyed yourself while you were here!

If you have a specific question for me regarding my blog, photographs, Etsy shop, or anything really, please email me at Anna@VictoryGardenYarn.com.